Named a top 10 medical title in 2009 by the Wall Street Journal.
Since 1986, Medicine for the Outdoors has been hailed as the definitive take-along manual on the subject. Packed with step-by-step instructions, how-to explanations, and practical approaches to outdoor and wilderness emergencies, it tells you the best ways to respond to just about any medical problem when help is miles or days away. Author Paul S. Auerbach, MD, MS, FACEP, FAWM, is recognized as one of the world’s leading authorities on wilderness medicine. This 5th edition features major updates to bring you the latest on emerging infectious diseases…the most current drug and dosage information…an increased emphasis on making do with the materials at hand…and much more. Logically organized, easy to reference, and simple to understand, Medicine for the Outdoors may literally save your life. When you’re venturing into mountains, deserts, forests, jungles, or out to sea, it belongs in your duffel or backpack!
- Provides the most diverse and comprehensive coverage of medical conditions related to the outdoors.
- Offers logical and complete explanations of every topic.
- Includes numerous drawings and instructions to enhance your understanding of the descriptive material.
- Contains recommendations for injury and illness prevention.
- Features a comprehensive index that helps you locate answers quickly.
- Offers an increased emphasis on making do with the materials at hand (like using a fanny pack as a cervical collar).
- Presents the latest guidance on dangerous infections like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), avian flu, and West Nile virus.
- Offers current and accurate drug and dosage information via careful updates throughout.
- Provides new safety recommendations on avalanches, forest fires, bear attacks, and more.
- Demonstrates how to apply various bandages and splints with the aid of brand-new drawings.
Frequently Bought Together
This item: Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to First Aid and Medical Emergency, 5th Edition$17.02